Los Angeles Legal Guardianship

A Los Angeles legal guardianship can solve many problems for families with older special needs children who are nearing adulthood. When these children reach the age of 18, they are expected by the government to be able to make all their own decisions. However, because of mental disabilities, some of these individuals simply cannot make decisions regarding their healthcare, their finances, their housing and many other matters. Therefore, they must have a guardian over them to make decisions that will protect their health, finances and overall best interests.

Los Angeles legal guardians must be officially appointed by the court through a detailed process that will require plenty of paperwork as well as at least one court hearing. Although some families have attempted to go through this process on their own, most individuals quickly discover that they are in over their heads if they attempt a guardianship without proper legal aid. At Newman, Aaronson, Vanaman, we have many special needs lawyers who specialize in these matters and who can help Los Angeles area families get through this process with a minimum of fuss and stress.

Legal Guardianships for Los Angeles Children with Special Needs

Parents should consider who will be appointed as a guardian well before the special needs child turns 18. Once the child turns 18, it can become increasingly difficult to get these matters in place. First, they must consider who should be appointed as the guardian. They may wish to be appointed as co-guardians, or if they do not have the time, energy or health to do this themselves, they may wish to ask another family member, such as one of their grown children. A family friend is also sometimes asked. In cases where no one is willing to be appointed as guardian, the court will appoint a third party of the state to act like one.

In Los Angeles, a person can be appointed as a full guardian or as a partial guardian. In some cases, one person may be appointed to make all decisions. This is called full guardianship. In other cases, one person may be appointed to handle personal affairs while a different person may be appointed to handle financial affairs. This is called a partial guardianship. Additionally, the individual may choose to maintain control of certain decisions while handing over the rest to the guardian.

If you require help in setting up a Los Angeles legal guardianship, contact Newman, Aaronson, Vanaman today.

Fill Out Our Intake Form

Click Now